Reading this chapter basically just reaffirms everything that we have been discusing over the past couple weeks. Like other members of the class, I also agree that the media is built purely for profit and that our government is ran by BIG money as McChesney claimed.
For anything to change, the money factor has to be pushed aside and that's just not going to happen willingly. Advertisers and investors have way to much at stake for that to happen. Some good citizen with a lot of money is going to have to step into an important government roll (i.e. the Presidency!) to put a stop to it and promote change. Yes the media needs to be regulated to get the type of Journalism the Fairness Doctrine calls for but it won't happen until someone puts a stop to the J.R Ewings of the world calling in their markers. Way too much money at stake
On a more personal note. I really don't think the public cares. Yeah they'll always say that the news sucks or that the radio just plays the same crap over and over again but when you ask them to stand up and fight...I guarantee that you're not going to get 25o million William Wallaces to fight for freedom the industry needs. I doubt you'd even get a 1/4th.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment