Tuesday, February 20, 2007

What I've Learned about Bias in Media

Before entering the journalism college at OU I had never sat down and reflected on the bias of media. I had understood the philosophy of "we are all biased" but I never actually applied it to what I was consuming everyday.
I remember in Intro to Mass Communication with Blevens he told us that journalism is meant to be fair and unbiased but that it never is. We have to search for the most amount of truth from the most sources. When I began to study media as a discipline I learned that you have to question what is on the TV. Yet at the same time I learned to believe certain things through my education at OU such as "Fox is biased". Sure I believe that it is, as I'm sure a lot of us do, but what exactly makes it biased? I can admit that I've never sat down to deeply compare Fox to CNN or MSNBC to look for biased information. Even so how do we know that CNN and MSNBC are telling us the truth? The ideology that journalism is biased is a revolving door meet on one side by the inside of the media and big business and on the other side the open minded, liberal journalists each searching for their version of the truth.

I know media is biased. I feel that by educating the public not through news but to help each person to think independently can news truly be a form of public interests. We have to be active news obtainers and look beyond the words in front of us.

No comments: