I think we definitely need the Fairness Doctrine. It's hard as it is that the media is biased. Without the Fairness Doctrine, only one side would be heard and it would be unfair. With controversial issues, I think that opposing views is necessary for the public.
I think that Gene Racz made a good point in his article "Reinstating the Fairness Doctrine will keep the airwaves more balanced"when he pointed out that there is a misconception that the FD would require shows to be internally balanced or that viewpoints would have to be broken down along the 50/50 lines. This is not what it is requiring. It simply prohibits the stations from broadcasting one single perspective everyday, without presenting the other side of the story.
I agree with Racz that reinstating the FD would keep airwaves more balanced. This will be a great tool to keep the public informed about controversial issues and it might even help them think independently.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment