Monday, April 9, 2007

Fair Use

I am not sure that libel and fair use go together, in fact I'm sure they don't. So I will just comment on fair use in order to stick to the topic (it is fair use isn't it??).

Anyway I think fair use is definitely justifiable when referring to copyrighted material, and I will even go further to say I think some of the restrictions upon fair use should be lifted. Especially after reading the section in our book, imagineering, I believe that we should have less restrictions over copyrighted works, etc. and more freedom. (Especially when it comes to educational purposes.)

I guess the idea of copyright makes sense but I think at times it restricts knowledge. This is a negative aspect of copyright, and could be alleviated if the law wasn't so tight on copyright. I like the idea of a somewhat free marketplace of ideas, where copyrighted works can be built upon and elaborated on.

No comments: