Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rich Kids, Debauchary, and Deceitful Charlatans....too soon?

As long as we're talking about media violence...somebody should mention Budd Dwyer.

"This will hurt someone!"

I think the above link should probably never see the light of day over the public airwaves, or cable for that matter, especially when you consider that the press conference aired shortly before noon. That being said, there is a distinct difference between actual violence (like the Dwyer suicide), which should probably never be aired,and pretend violence, which can be found in movies, TV, video games, and essentially any form of media that exists, whether it be fictional or not. A lot of my posts this semester have focused on the responsibility of the news consumer, and how he or she has to be their own gatekeeper in deciding what to consume. I think the same is true in this case. The material and information should be available to those who wish to seek it out, but it is up to these individuals to make responsible choices based on their beliefs and values. The first time I saw the Dwyer suicide, it upset me a great deal, because I watched a very high-quality video of a man taking his own life. On the flip side, however, watching a movie like The Last Samurai or Pulp Fiction, where death and violence occurs that is far more graphic than the Dwyer incident, doesn't bother me in the least because I'm an intelligent person who can make the distinction between fiction and reality through the media he consumes. It's up to the public to show the same diligence. The public has a right to know, but more importantly, the public does not have the right to have information like this withheld from them if they so desire to see it.

No comments: