Monday, April 2, 2007

VNR'S

The concept and purpose of a Video News Release is pretty cut and dry; to promote a certain idea or product on television with the intent of attracting viewers to what is being promoted. Another term for this is a commercial. While a VNR is longer and more detailed than a commercial, it is still propaganda used to persuade the general public. The difference of course between a VNR and a commercial is that VNR's are aired as if they were part of the newscast. This is where the problem with VNR's rests. VNR's, appearing as significant and relative news, allow an individual to think that what is being promoted or discussed is newsworthy on that particular day or time, when in reality it is just another advertisement. This is wrong for several reasons. First, it is deceiving to the viewer. If I as a viewer was deceived by a particular station I would not trust that station. If I do not trust a station I will not watch it for news. In theory television stations wouldn't worry about deceiving me because after all, they make it seem like part of the broadcast. But, lets be honest, a VNR is not to difficult to spot. I'm sure I've let a few slide by me in the past and believed them to be relevant news, but I seem to remember quite a few times where I have busted a station with their strictly promotional and relatively lame VNR's.
I do not think VNR's are ethical journalism because I do not think it is journalism. It is advertising. Is it unethical to make the public think it is journalism? Yes. The general public relies on the news for the most timely, relevant, and significant stories of the day. There is no need to trick the public. If a station finds the money these VNR's provide them with as such a necessity then they can air them, as long as they notify the public that it is a paid advertisment. Doing this would not by any means detract a viewer, it would just let them know what exactly they are watching. Their interest can still be gained and the goal of the VNR could still be reached. Personally, I think VNR's should be left out of newscasts all together even if they are properly identified. The 30-60 minute blocks dedicated to news on a station should be exactly that, news. But if VNR's are necessary, they should at least be acknowledged prorperly in order to maintain an audience's trust.
I do not think that VNR's create lazy journalism. I see more of a problem with the fact that they allow the financial side of broadcast news to interfere with relaying the news. Stations who air VNR's during their broadcasts are giving the message that they care more about receiving money than giving me the viewer the news. I am not denying the significance of advertising and moeny in this industry, however am I saying that if not balanced properly, the focus of a news programs objective (which should be relaying news to the public) can be easily lost. Newscasts are for news and commercials are for advertising. Combining the two just adds confusion and frustration.

No comments: