Monday, April 16, 2007

V-chip

I'd like to think that the V-chip is an effective way of protecting kids from inappropriate content, but it's not. I just see alot of ways of getting around it. The most important one being that some parents don't even know they exist and some don't know how to use it. Kids these days are alot smarter than we think and are definitely smarter than us when we were that age. If they don't watch it at their own homes, who's to say that they can't at a friend's house???
I think that ratings and the v-chip could regulate what kids watch but to my understanding it's not widely known. With parents' hectic schedule, I don't think that they would all actually take time to figure out how to work the v-chips, which shows to censor, etc.
If I was a parent I would probably try the v-chip but I would not rely on it solely.

No comments: